Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ethics 101


Here's an image I've listed at fineartamerica.com. I've sold a couple of images there, and it's been a great experience.

So, here's an image someone's bought today.

Here's my email copy:
Hi Larry,

You received an order today on FineArtAmerica.com for one of your prints! The order details are included, below:

Wave by Larry Darnell

Image Size:
40.00" x 21.25"
Total Size:
40.00" x 21.25"
Print Material:
Glossy Finish Canvas
Finishing:
Gallery Wrapped - 1.5" Stretcher Bars - Back Stapled - Black Sides

Profit from Print:
$175.00
Profit from Accessories:
$18.94
Quantity Ordered:
1
Total Profit:
$193.94

Well, that's ok...no one can complain about this.

And then I get this next email, similar to another I got for the last sale I made with them:

Congratulations on your recent order for Wave!

Unfortunately, there is a problem with your image that will prevent us from making a high-quality print:

1. The image has a digital blur effect applied to the whole image.

We need the original, unaltered image. Unless you happen to know this buyer, I can tell you from experience that he/she is probably expecting a pure image and will probably return the print if it's digitally altered.

Can you please correct the problem and upload a new image to FineArtAmerica.com as soon as possible? You'll need to replace your existing image (http://fineartamerica.com/featured/wave-larry-darnell.html) with your new image.

Please let me know as soon as you've uploaded the new image. I have the order on hold until I hear back from you.
Well, hear back from me we do:

I'd like to point out, there are 2 fundamental problems here. The first is I presented the image this person decided to buy, and you are suggesting they not only don't want what they've seen, but they won't get what they've seen - which, as far as I can tell is unethical, and probably illegal.

The second is you are asking me to alter the image I've presented, after I've spent hours altering it the way I wanted it presented - to make a pure image. Well, I can get beyond the non-implied insult, but not quite to the steady ground of your definition of pure.

I perceive there is some kind of standard by which you people judge what will print acceptably and what won't - which is neither clear nor stated anywhere. Consequently, there is no real definition of what you 'want.'

You state I applied a blur effect. Well, I applied a lot of effects - I don't know what blur effect you refer to. The process I pursued was to create a Japanese woodblock print effect on an underlying photograph.

I guess we'll have to lose the sale unless you can be more specific regarding what you want.

I know I'm nuts to turn down the sale - but what can I do...ALL my work is not PURE, I'm sure.

What do you think?

No comments: